ETD question re: unisons

Sat, 17 Feb 2001 23:42:13 +0100

Actually, there is a lot of these kinds of questions I would love to know the
answers too. Questions about decay and pitch change as they relate to differing
bridge conditions and string coupling situations. And I would be interested in
just how much of these things piano manufacturers can design into a piano and
how much field techs can manipulate.

I've heard much and read much relating to this basic subject matter, and its
apparent that there is not all that much hard science out there... at least not
readily available in printed form... but there is no lack of differing
opinion... grin..

I am not really too confident in how usefull our three main ETD's are in these
regards. Measurements taken by them seem at best to be a bit shakey.  You have
to take so many for each sample to arrive to a representative sample. Direct
referencing seems quite a bit more sure but there is only so much you can learn
from watching the display waver back an forth.

Ah...hooot.. why couldnt I have been born an acoustics professor with access to
all that fancy equipment and the mind to know what to do with it ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.