String massage

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 06:11:06 -0500

Re: String massageMy observation is that if you have massaged the string =
(that was flat to begin with) firmly enough (no whacking!) to =
stretch/raise the pitch of the backscale, the pitch of the speaking =
length will then be lowered until you raise the pitch by turning the =
tuning pin. Some of the pitch will come back up as the string cools.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: thepianoarts=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, February 19, 2001 11:23 PM
  Subject: Re: String massage

      Ola,

      I use the brass rod method in setting unisons in pianos that don't =
render well. One note: rubbing and pushing down on the wire will lower =
the pitch. Some of this change is caused by heat, allowing the wire to =
stretch, and lower in pitch.  It is quite dramatic how the pitch will =
change from rubbing. Don't be fooled...the pitch will creep back up, =
within abount a minute.
        =20

      Dan Reed

      Dallas Chapter

      Ola wrote:

      Can it help me to stabilise the pressure of the speaking and =
nonspeaking areas if I massage the string? Espessially in the last one =
and a half octave. Will it save me time and give me a more stabile =
result? I've tried it and noticed the string reacts alot to it.

      What part of the string do I start with and how much massage is =
needed?

      Many Thanks=20

      Ola Andersson

    The Reply was

    >> I had to pitch raise and tune a Rippen today!
    >> My question is:
    >> Because of the  long "non speaking" area of the string next to =
the pins.
    >>(Sorry for my bad explaination but I'm exhausted) you know what I =
mean. How
    >>is the best way of doing this on a Rippen (pitchraise + tune)? I =
suppose you
    >>done some?

    >My way, could be, pitch raise first, gentle of course, then press =
down? and
    >strike all the wire from the hitchpins to the tuningpins to loose =
all the
    >rusty points where the wire sticks to the pins and=20
    >Then press the sustain and BANGG all the keys to equal all the
    >tensionpartials.
    >Well I could do it this way i think.

    Rudyard,