Odd Query:

Cole Wheeler cole@fsvs.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:08:38 -0500

Hello-

I joined this list for the specific purpose of posting the one question
which will follow.  The concept involved in this question will undoubtedly
make some of the members of this forum squirm and shudder with the revulsion
one of our Puritan forefathers might experience upon viewing the South Park
movie.  That said, here's my question:
   Has anyone heard of or know of any resources regarding 'retrofitting' an
apartment-sized baby grand body with an electronic, fully weighted, 88 key
keyboard, amp and speakers?
   The piano in question is of almost no consequence; a Heller brand (the
company made furniture, not instruments) apartment baby grand that has seen
much climatic abuse and four boisterous children, now adults.  The harp is
seriously warped and shot.  The keys are shot.  The hammers are shot.
Refurbishing as a traditional piano is prohibitively expensive, considering
the initial quality of the instrument.  The box, however, is
lovely--wonderful legs, lovely top and sides.
   The owner of this piano is extremely attached to it, for sentimental
reasons only.  So why not, I ask myself, gut the thing and put a decent
fully-weighted, 88 key electronic keyboard with an amp and some speakers
inside?  A 'virtual' piano, if you will.

Please refrain from responding if all you have to offer is a moral diatribe
on the heresy I have proposed.  If you've ever heard of anyone else doing
this, however, please forward any and all information you may have.

Most appreciatively,

Cole Wheeler