Steinway plate holes

rwbrpt@juno.com rwbrpt@juno.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:17:39 -0500

To Ron N. , Don P. and list,
The danger in short answers to long questions is here apparent!
I recognize that without a first hand knowledge of piano plate mfg., it
is difficult to visualize the subject via E-mail. However, in the spirit
of my past PTG classes on plates, as well as all of your obvious
questions - I  will go forward.
The "counter sinks" that we see in the majority of pianos are not the
result of secondary operations or machine work. They are the result of
cast in "spots" or "dimples" that are cone shaped and located by the
design and pattern maker to reduce the amount of metal to be drilled and
to provide an auto centering device for the driller. Visualize a cone
shaped recess that is drilled thru with a bit that is smaller than its
outside diameter. The result is a "counter sink" with a hole - but far
less material is cast, drilled or wasted as swarf (shavings). Pretty
important when foundries in the past ran 500 or more plates a day with
220 or more  pin holes in each!
Obviously, the pattern "dimples" reduce the amount of metal poured into
the plate to begin with and this is where the strength factor comes in.
Where holes are closely spaced, the angle of the correct drill lead
"dimple" would cause overlap as well. The Steinway & Sons patterns that
experienced breakage thru these sections (commonly the "A-1" and "B")
were effectively strengthened by eliminating the "large" "spots" in these
center areas and drilling on "small" spots that almost disappear in the
drilling process (just the smallest "edge break" remains to avoid a
secondary operation - at least when all is running well!).
For sure, the subject of "spot " drilling versus modern CNC methods is a
long and interesting. However, I feel that the question of the variation
in the long standing Steinway scales that have sponsored the recent
questions here are best addressed by saying that strength issues as well
as design space requirements will best furnish the answers. Tradition in
this case would be a very minimal consideration.
As in all piano design and mfg., variations are endless and the solutions
to problems - both short and long range -  are so complex and interesting
that these discussions will undoubtedly continue long into the future.
This explanation is deliberately brief, as the subject is complicated by
many factors, however, I hope that this short comment will help clarify
rather than confuse the issue, and I will comment further if you wish.

Bob Beck