voicing with dremel

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@home.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:51:28 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: pianolover 88 <pianolover88@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2001 9:29 PM
Subject: Re: voicing with dremel

> >Personally I still prefer steam or water and alcohol
> >for fluffing up the recalcitrant Asian hammers.
> >
> >Joseph Alkana RPT
>

> I find that when using the alcohol and water, the THIRD indgredient,
> fragrance-free, colorless or white fabric softener will give more
immediate,
> longer lasting results, than with just water/alcohol alone. .
>

> Terry Peterson
> Precision Piano Service
> Torrance, CA

Terry,
To what do you attribute the better results  when using the fabric softener?
Do you think it adds "body" to the hammer without the hardness? Obviously
we're trying to get space, or air, in with the felt to add the resiliency
and softer characteristics. When you do use the concoction suggested, do you
find that a heavy filing is required as Del Fandrich alluded to sometime
back?

Joseph Alkana  RPT