Re: Blüthner value

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@home.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:14:13 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Story <mark.story@mail.ewu.edu>
To: Pianotech@Ptg. Org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 12:43 PM
Subject: Blüthner value

> An elderly client passed away last week. Since I had taken care of her
> Blüthner for several years, her daughter asked me to help them liquidate
the
> piano. I don't even have a clue of what this thing is worth. It is about 2
> meters and has the Patent action and the fourth string. It's an elegant
old
> thing, but its technical condition isn't very good. It has low pin torque
> and the downbearing is marginal, at best. The fourth string is dead when
it
> changes to the auxiliary bridge. This is the only one of these types I
have
> worked on, so any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA
>

> Mark Story. RPT
> Eastern Washington University
> Cheney, Washington

Mark,
You might contact  Steve Brady. He is now not only an expert on piano
evaluations, the past editor of the PTG Journal but also an enterprising
part owner of a Bluthner dealership.  Classical Grands Seattle,
206-297-6717, E-mail :
pianos@classicalgrands.com

You should hear some of the magnificent specimens in the store. Totally blew
me away. We had our chapter meeting there last night and we discussed many
aspects of the Bluthner design, including the fading fourth string typical
evidently on the older models.

Joseph Alkana  RPT