Tuner Mystery Novel

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:38:23 -0600

Anita
Check out the books by R. Bruce Hoadley: UNDERSTANDING WOOD and =
IDENTIFYING WOOD, Taunton Press. Both give a lot of information on wood =
properties including carving. I "wood" think (couldn't resist) an exotic =
wood from an obscure country/carver would ad value and intrigue.

Paul Chick
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Anita Sullivan=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 8:03 AM
  Subject: Tuner Mystery Novel

  Dear List,

  I have a rather odd request. I've been tuning and fixing pianos for =
about 20 years and I'm also a writer. I've decided to write a series of =
mystery novels with a piano tuner as the heroine. I've started the first =
one and have two more ideas in mind.

  I want the mystery to revolve around some aspect of music, pianos, =
musical instruments. In the first novel a wooden carving is stolen for =
no apparent reason from one of the tuner's client's house. It's a =
beautiful statue of a monk playing a cello (some friends actually do =
have a carving like this, and it's beautiful). My dilemma is this: What =
wood can the statue be made of, which would be valuable enough to be =
stolen by someone who wanted it in some aspect of musical instrument =
building, and yet still could be made into a statue probably about 2 =
feet high? I had in mind Brazilian Rosewood, does that make sense?

  I was going to have it be a harpsichord builder, but then I am told =
rosewood was not used on historical harpsichords (thus would not be used =
in replicas). Duh! I guess I should have known that. So, either I need =
another wood, or I have to change the guy into a builder of historical =
pianos, or maybe a violin maker.

  The instrument builder, by the way, is NOT the one who stole the =
statue. Heaven forbid! He's just a kind of red herring.=20

  If anybody can help me, I would be MOST  grateful. I would even =
receive plot ideas graciously! Please reply to me at my home address, =
anita@proaxis.com      Thanks so much!

  Anita Sullivan