Samick leg bolts

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:37:02 +1100

John, Roger and list,

Jon wrote;

>I went to move a Samick the other day . . . . .Does anyone know the
>size of the hex key so I can have one on hand in the
>event of another Samick encounter?

The size is 3/8" AF, a size which I feel sure was chosen for the
benefit of Samick's most important  (80% of sales) market place, the
USA.

>Another interesting thing happened during the move. . . .  I found a
>short phillips head machine bolt. . figured it fell out of the
>piano. . .  The treble nose bolt had fallen out!  I retrieved my
>flashlight . . to find the stud was about an inch away from the plate.
>I turned it back up from underneath but the holes did not align but
>close enough to force-
>fit. The stud was loose . .  in the beam
>I set the stud height to the plate and secured it with vise-grips
>while threading the bolt in.
>Evidently . .  the stud was backed-off from the plate
>during installation and was hanging-on by a few threads. Fortunately
>the plate through that
>section is quite thick

Which is one aspect of the Samick design which gives the piano potential.

>so I don't think any damage was done.  Make you wonder though...

This is unfortunately common stuff with Samick. Sloppy workmanship is
common. Nevertheless, their work standards are better than they were
- with a long way yet to go. With the right help (ie. a consultant
with a history of tone building) they could build decent pianos, if
that ever becomes part of their intended purpose for existence.
Unfortunately, many commercial piano makers have such a lack of real
piano knowledge that they are mostly incapable of choosing a
consultant with the qualities they need to lift their product quality
to a new level.

Regards,

Ron O
--