Grand regulating

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:31:48 +0100

"L. Verkoelen" wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> My name is Louis Verkoelen. I am a new associate tech high in the resort
> communities of southern California and have been tuning part time for
> several years.

High on what ??? grin...

> II have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with. I am doing my
> first full regulation on a 1929 4'10" Wurlitzer grand. The lady picked it up
> for a song and figured I could make it work right. It looks like it hasn't
> been regulated since new. Let off is over 1/2".
> Anyway, to my questions.
> 1.When leveling, are the clip on weights the best way to go or is their a
> better way.

These are good for rough leveling only... in the end you will have to dink
around with things pretty much in the piano and ready to play. There are some
pretty good articles in past Journals about different approaches to good
leveling. Get ahold of the Journal on CD and start reading up !!..

> 2.I need a let-off rack. Is the Jaras 4 in 1 rack (shaff) any good or should
> I stick to the traditional wood style.

Dont know the Jaras rack... any old let of rack will do as long as its sturdy
and true. Again bench regulating is rough stuff. You fine tune your action in
the piano.

> 3.The blocks that hold the key frame in place are missing. They were
> originally part of the cheek blocks. Does anybody sell a replacement (havn't
> seen them in the Schaff or APSCO catalogs) or do I have to fabricate a set.
> If I have to make, whats the best material to use.

Cant answer this for you myself... but it shouldnt be too difficult to fabricate
what you need.

> Thanks.
>
> Louis Verkoelen
> Big Bear City, CA