Time Required for Old Grand Refurbish, was: Grand regulating + Backcheck Question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 19:15:11 -0500

Education time. Yeah buddy. Don't I know it. Been there. Done that. Will do
again!

I'm no MBA business dude, but I believe the cold-hearted logical view of it
is that you are worth a certain hourly rate. That is commonly what you can
make tuning. If you are, or could be, busy full time tuning, then anything
else you do takes those dollars away from you. If someone wants you to
rebuild/refurbish an action or restring a piano, your time is worth the
hourly rate that you will bypass from tuning so that you can do the shop
work on their piano.

Of course, what is your hourly tuning rate? Well, many days I can average
about, or better than, $50 per hour. But there are those days when I barely
break $20 per hour (I hate when that happens!). So, what does that mean. I
dunno.

I think there are two exceptions to that that one may wish to consider. If
you are not busy full time tuning, then perhaps it would make sense to
discount your shop work a little to encourage an increased work level
(although many would argue that does not work). The other is, yes you are
busy full time tuning, but you only want to service pianos half time, and do
shop work the other half (or whatever ratio suits you). In that case, you
may wish to again consider discounting shop work a bit to encourage
development.

But yes, in general, I think that is what one should shoot for: same hourly
shop rate as you make tuning. OR, after 50 years at it when you have a
reputation like the Snyder boys and you have a 3-year backlog of Steinway
remanufactures, one may wish to reconsider what their shop time is worth -
perhaps more than you thought!

I think the bottom line is supply and demand, modified by what you might be
willing to pay for your interests.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida