Ivory problems - Help Help!

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 19:25:26 -0500

"Do you think that this was a reaction between the clamp and the =
chemical (I wiped the ivory with a damp cloth first)?"

No doubt.

"Should I re-bleach?"

I suppose. I've never had to do that, because I've never run into that. =
You might try a little bleach on a rag and perhaps wipe the ivory to see =
if the brass stuff comes off.

I know some people take real bad ivories off the key and soak them in =
bleach. Maybe you need to get a little more extreme like that. But next =
time you glue the ivory back on, make sure it is completely dry and has =
no bleach residue.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Stephen Powell=20
  To: Pianotech List=20
  Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2001 3:07 PM
  Subject: Ivory problems - Help Help!

  Hi list!
  =20
  A few days ago, I bleached a set of one-piece ivories (older Kawai) =
using the hydrogen peroxide/UV light technique.  This was a first time =
for me, and I'm really pleased with the results.  However, a number of =
the ivories in the centre section loosened.  I have always had success =
using whitened hide glue for ivory work, and decided to reglue one with =
the nice looking new ivory head clamp that I got from Schaff (part =
#249); I've just used spring clamps in the past.  Anyway, I glued one =
and horror of horrors, the ivory is GREEN where it was in contact with =
the brass head clamp! =20
  =20
  Soooo friendly experts, what do I do now?!  Do you think that this was =
a reaction between the clamp and the chemical (I wiped the ivory with a =
damp cloth first)?  Should I re-bleach?  HELP, HELP!!
  =20
  Regards,
  =20
  Stephen Powell RPT