Grand regulating

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:31:12 -0500

>     I never use a let-off rack.  What a waste of time.

I trust you are trying to suggest that some methods work well for some
folks, and other methods may work better for others? I also trust you have
wisely chosen to not waste your time. I know I try not to waste mine.

>     By the time you set up a jig, you can have entire let-off adjusted
> inside the piano.  Why waste your time?

Well, again, I try to not waste my time. When I have completely disassembled
an action that was originally in horrid regulation, put all new felt under
the keys, drastically filed hammers, and reassembled, I would rather do some
bench regulating to get it close than drive to the piano and start leveling
keys and regulating the action from scratch. You are talking hours at that
point. You might not even be able to get the action into the action cavity
because it is so out of whack!

I think it also looks a bit more professional to take the old junky action
out of the home to your shop, and then return with a great looking action -
reasonably level hammers, etc. - with only a bit of regulation refinement
needed at the home.

Many piano shops do not have a FLAT, SOLID regulating table (I'm talking
near perfectly flat). If you do (and the piano has a flat keybed), you can
come extremely close with the bench regulation. For me, I am not wasting
time. I am enjoying life. I do not often have fun in people's homes - I work
hard there. I have fun in my shop - I also get a lot of work done
(sometimes).

Let-off racks are also great for the beginner because being able to see the
string line helps visualize what is happening with the action in the piano.

IMHO, rather than sitting in Mrs. Yellinatthekids house regulating an BAD
action from scratch (you don't really even know at this point if it CAN be
regulated!), I would rather sit in my nice cool shop on my nice comfy chair
(height adjustable, springy, well cushioned), play some Neil Young in the
background (OK, occasionally cranking it up), kiss my beautiful wife when
she comes in to check & see how I'm doin', pat my doggie on the head once in
a while, use my own bathroom, help my son glue a fin on his model rocket,
etc., etc.

And even if I do waste some time, as Neil Young once said: "There's a lot to
learn, for wastin' time."

I think the bottom line is, "to each, their own". One way works efficiently
for me, so I am smart to do it that way. A different way works best for you,
so I trust you are wise enough to do it the other way. If there is one thing
I have learned in this business so far, it's that there are often many ways
to do a job efficiently and properly. Also, one might choose to present
their particular approach in a way other than characterizing someone else's
approach as "What a waste of time & Why waste your time?"

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com