Lousey customers, was Samick bolts.

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:55:26 -0800

Richard,

The previous technician was/is a colleque and a good technician.  Apparently, just after tuning he had some sticking dampers and (why, I don't know)slammed the front of the keyboard to fix the problem...he was probably in a hurry...he obviously didn't take the time to diagnose the problem, you would think that the sticking dampers must have been happening during the tuning and he would have investigated?  But maybe the problem just started at the end of the tuning? Anyway this was what the customer remembered when the dampers starting sticking again.  "He slammed the front of the keys and broke something."  I did call the previous tech and suggested he consider paying for at least some of the service call as he was certainly capable of fixing it if he had taken the time, which he agreed to do.  Now that I think about it maybe he couldn't figure out how to get into the piano either!  I always ask potential customers how long it has been since the last tuning and if it was a short period of time I ask who was their technician.  As you say, you can quickly find out if this will be a problem customer.  Referrals are usually asked who the previous tuner was and why they are calling me.  If the technician is reputable I let them know it.  It is nice to be busy enough to not need the work!!!

David I.