vertical damper springs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:22:32 -0500

Hi Willem. I serviced a Samick studio upright (about three years old) =
about two weeks ago. The lady complained that the keys were so hard to =
push compared to her piano teachers instrument. Indeed, down weight was =
around 65 to 70 grams. I quickly narrowed troubles down to friction in =
the key bushings, and excessive damper spring tension. What a world of =
difference it made when you push the damper pedal down. Those damper =
springs were like the spring in a BIG mouse trap (well, maybe a tiny =
exaggeration). I eased the keys, which made the excessive damper trouble =
all the more obvious. I removed the action and went through all the =
damper springs bending them back at the coil just a tad with my hart =
spring tool. Worked great. Downweights back to around 50 grams, =
upweights around 30 grams. I only had a little trouble with one damper =
not working well after the spring tension reduction.

Mark: I simply reached between the hammer shanks and put a little =
backwards pressure on the spring. It is not hard to do it too much, so =
be gentle.

I do have to say though, that I have not noticed this in any piano other =
than this particular one. I'm not sure if I would have even noticed/said =
anything if the client had not chimed in with her complaint.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com