vertical damper springs

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:47:28 -0600

> This goes to show, that you learn something new everyday on Pianotech.
After
> 25 years in the business, I honestly had never heard of adjusting damper
> spring tension to adjust touch on a vertical. Thanks for the information.
>
> Willem

Hi Willem,
                  Your reply show's a lot of class,  I hope all is going well
for you now.

To even out damper spring tension, measure with a pair of calipers the
distance
from the leading edge of the hammer rail to the leading edge of the damper
blocks, (felt excluded).
Set action in cradle, and prop open the damper lift rod in several placesa to
duplicate measurements.   ( making sure hanger bushings are in good shape)
Check that all damper heads are in a straight line, so that you will have the
same damper follow on each note.
Set some samples in each register and measure the tension with a spring
gauge,
note reading.
Install action in piano and check for desired results.
Remove action to cradle and regulate the rest to match.
I like to see 2-3mm of follow. This is also interactive with spring tension,
upon the touch.
Spring tension varies all over the map from piano to piano. But it has to be
even for even touch.
Damper pick up is far more noticable on a vertical than on a grand.

I have found many verticals with excessive spring tension, where damper follow
was the origional problem, but some wise person has tried to eliminate damper
bleed by adjusting the springs.
Now that is an exercise in futility.

Hope this make sense.
Roger