learning tuning - (was: what pianos are good?)

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 02 Jan 2001 10:52:43 -0500

>  I can appreciate good pianos more. For example, my piano
>  has wound strings above F33. Larry Fine says that's a problem.

No, that is not a problem.  The problem is bad scaling, the
selection of the core wire, the diameter of the winding and
the length of the unwound ends.  I have often run wound
strings higher than F3 (F33) and the transition was
inaudible because shorter scales REQUIRE wound strings in
that area.
--
		Newton Hunt
		Highland Park, NJ