Mahogany was Wood & Humidity

Tue, 2 Jan 2001 07:59:43 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 01, 2001 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: Mahogany was Wood & Humidity

> I'll clear that up with a renewal statement. "I do not automatically
assume
> a terrible sounding piano with a laminated board sounds terrible only
> because of the panel is laminated." I haven't, however, entirely abandoned
> the possibility of evil spirits just yet.

I know you don't, Ron. I probably should have made that point. Sorry for
giving the wrong impression. It's just that I felt this great rant coming on
and your post provided such an excellent excuse to let it out. It's best not
to let those things pile up, you know...

> We probably would still have plenty of Sitka Spruce left if it hadn't been
> wasted for the last two hundred years as an easily harvested, cheap, easy
> to work junk wood. Who's turn is it to have enough sense to know better
> than to waste the only world we have? Take notes for the next four years
as
> to who's turn it's not.

I have this friend who is both an environmentalist and a Republican. (He's
also a member of the 'Green Elephants.' A group within the Republican Party
attempting to apply pressure on the party leadership to demonstrate at least
some tiny semblance environmental consciousness.) His belief is that the
environment might actually suffer less with Bush than it would have with
Gore because the various environmental groups will be carefully watching
what Bush does (or doesn't do, as the case may be). With Gore's reputation
as being more environmentally sensitive (actually quite an unearned one,
since he mostly talks the talk, but consistently fails to walk the walk
unless pressured into doing so) these same groups would have relaxed and
assumed that the government would be taking care of us and our environment.
A dangerous assumption in both cases -- no matter who is in the White House
or the Congress.

Regards,

Del