Capstans

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 07 Jan 2001 11:32:59 -0600

At 02:12 AM 1/7/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Roger,
>    I remember reading somewhere that the leather in the hole approach was
>better than the toothpick in the hole. From my own experience over the
last few
>years of trying it this does seem to be the case. The leather won't tear up
>like the toothpick does. FWIW

 Hi Greg,
              The question was,  How to effect a Temporary fix,  this I
assumed to be fast and nasty. <G>
It's a little quicker than the leather approach.  Leather is a very
acceptable method.
Capstan screws, unlike flange screws should be continuously adjusted.
(Performance piano was mentioned) The only good solution long term in my
book, is to plug and redrill.
CA repair is a good option, but the capstan tends to jump and snap. This
makes fine concert regulation a little more difficult.
Fast and nasty, I have even used several thickness of flange travel paper
in a pinch as a temp repair to plug a loose screw hole.
Given the use of the capstan, redrill and plug is the best long term
solution. The thread needs to be tight but turn smoothly for fine regulation.
I wonder why the threads are loose in the first place? Too many
regulations?  Poor quality key stick material? Or bad factory drilling.?
It would be worth answering these questions, before plugging the old holes.
If it is low grade material ( basswood), I'd be thinking in terms of using
a fairly large maple plug. This could prevent the same thing happening in
the future.
Regards Roger