Capstans

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 07 Jan 2001 15:30:11 -0600

At 01:35 PM 1/7/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Roger,
>    Thank you for the clarification! I'm also curious as to why it is
loose in
>the first place. Did I hear that there are folks installing new capstans
with an
>arbor press? Will this not cause them to be loose. Kinda like driving in a
screw
>with a hammer, no? How is there any wood left for the capstan to thread in
and
>out for adjustment? Did I misunderstand ...... again?
>
>Greg
Hi Greg,
             I use the drill press to insert new capstans, press them in
just a small amount ( about 1/3rd in), then turn them in the rest of the
way so a new thread is cut. The press is used to obtain uniform position
and angle, and to give enough insertion, so that the capstan does not
wobble off centre when turning.
To cut the new threads. I place the key stick in the vice, press down on
the top of the capstan with my thumb, then turn the capstan wrench to get 2
or 3 complete turns started. this will cut a nice new tight thread.
I can attain a very straight, and evenly angled capstan line with this
method. 1mm off on the capstan line makes a significant difference in key
ratios.
Hope this helps.
Roger