Teaching.

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Tue, 09 Jan 2001 02:12:11 -0600

Hi Richard,

My chosen order would be 4,2,3,5 (types of octaves, and aural/electronic
tests for each kind),1

My reason for placing hammer technique last is that it is the hardest to
learn. It takes the most practise. And no one quite agrees with anyone else
about *what* is happening. Further, what works on one piano may *not* work
on another of the same make and model (and age).

My reason for placing basic tuning theory first is that without
understanding what you are trying to do you are reduced to *guessing*. A
simple example. If you tried to get to my house from yours you would need
some idea of where I live first. On the other hand, if you were *already*
at my house, you would have little difficulty finding your way to your own
home.

Hearing beats is essential if you wish to tune unisons, so it must come
before unisons.

Unisons are the hardest to achieve on a piano. There are a multitude of
reasons, one major one being the coupled motion of the string. We can all
practise getting better unisons because finally we listen to something
*other* than beating. One study suggests that a string will *draw*(i.e. be
beat free) up to one hertz at the fundemental and at A4 that would be quite
a poor unison.

The best tuners in the world would find  a 2:1 octave at A0 to A1 not
likely very *tasteful*. I have one client who prefers it. So I do the
entire bass that way for that client. I am not there to impose my tastes on
the client. I do ask my clients for their reaction to my efforts. If there
is a problem I believe my job is to satisfy the client's ear, not mine.
Tuning is always subjective, partly because no two persons hear exactly the
same way.

At 11:29 PM 01/08/2001 +0100, you wrote:

>1.Hammer Technique
>2.Hearing Beats
>3.Unisons
>4.Undestanding basic tuning theory.