rib glueing

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:38:10 -0600

>The way I read the above, says:
>    --    We're compression-crowning a soundboard panel. That normally
>implies a soundboard panel dried to approximately 4.0% MC.
>    --    If flat ribs are pressed onto this panel against a flat surface a
>given amount of crown will result as the panel absorbs moisture and returns
>to a normal (for the climate) MC.
>    --    Given the same panel at 4.0% MC and the same flat ribs, but this
>time glued up using a curved caul (surface), the finished soundboard
>assembly will have the same crown when the assembly has reached the same
>equilibrium MC in its normal climate.
>
>I disagree. With all other factors being the same, the compression-crowned
>soundboard panel glued up against a curved caul/surface will end up with
>more crown than the one glued up against a flat caul/surface.
>
>Del

Hi Del,
You're right, of course, all things being equal. I was assuming an
appropriate adjustment in MC% with the curved caul induced crown to end up
with similar final crowns, since the final crown is the presumed target. I
should have been more specific. In either case, the result is, indeed, a
compression crowned assembly.

Ron N