Who needs,,,,,,,,,,

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:31:28 -0500

I see I am being quoted in a way I did not quite intend!  While it is true
that Steinway "is growing their own" field technicians, training people from
other trades to do piano work in New York City, I did not get the impression
that this field service was inadequate.  I suppose that even though they
don't use piano technicians to build their pianos, they don't necessarily
need piano technicians to service them either.  People can be trained to do
specific jobs, and not have to know everything about something to do it well
- at least that's one theory of American industry these days.

My point was that if someone was looking to do piano work on the East Coast
of the U.S. they might find an employer in Steinway and Sons.

BTW, even though their pianos often need more "finishing" out of the box, at
least in the hands of a competent technician, they can become everything a
piano can be.

Carol Beigel