natural beats

BobDavis88@rudoff.com BobDavis88@rudoff.com
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:57:05 EST

Howard Rosen writes:
> Virgil's so called
>  "natural" beats have to come from some pair of coincidental partials.

Howard, I agree with Keith that Virgil is probably talking about an average
of multiple coincidences rather than a single pair.

I too have disagreed with Virgil's articles, particularly his claim that
single, double, and triple octaves can be tuned "beatless." However, even
limiting the discussion of "natural beats" to octaves (and multiple octaves)
for the moment, I think that Keith was on the mark when he was talking about
"cumulative."

Talk even of a "beatless" octave drives me nuts - I think it's inaccurate and
a physical impossibility. Indeed, a 2:1 octave will not sound "clean." (For
those unfamiliar with the term "2:1," that is an octave in which the 2nd
partial of the lower note equals the fundamental of the upper note and
therefore does not produce a difference frequency, or beat). Because of
inharmonicity, as we know, the 4:2 coincidence will be narrow, the 6:3
narrower yet, and so on. Their beats will not be as loud as the 2:1 was, but
they're there. Raising the pitch ever so slightly makes the higher
coincidences closer FASTER than it makes the 2:1 coincidence worse, so the
octave becomes "cleaner." That term at least suits me a little better than
"beatless." The amount it takes to reach the "cleanest" octave depends upon
the amount of each partial present, and therefore upon the voicing, as well
as the scale.

Keith says,
>  that Virgil's natural beats "come from listening to the cumulative
>  relationship of all the partials" .

The ear averages the amount of noise (beating) produced at each coincidence
of partials, and a clean octave results when the average noise is least.

I don't think I'm alone in saying that three 2:1 octaves stacked on top of
one another will NOT produce a good-sounding triple octave. However, neither
will three "clean" octaves. Inharmonicity causes the upper partials to be
sharp enough that individual octaves actually need to be a little wide of
clean to produce a clean triple octave.

    "The contradiction so puzzling to the ordinary way of thinking comes from
the fact that we have to use language to communicate our inner experience
which in its very nature transcends linguistics."     --D. T. Suzuki

Sometimes a model doesn't have to be scientifically accurate to be useful,
but I think this is a case where Virgil's description is less useful than
others I have heard.

Bob Davis