S and S K52

Meyer Carl cmpiano@home.com
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:02:57 -0800

I'm presently working on a 1909 S&S K52.  It was professionally =
refinished.  I've so far replaced the keytops, rescaled with PSCALE, and =
restrung using wound strings on the first 5 notes above the bass break.  =

Prior to stringing I lowered the plate w/o removing it by using a saber =
saw to take the thickness or height of the dowels down by one saw kerf. =
As the screws rose toward the treble side I used progressively thinner =
blades (some by hand for accessability).  Along the bottom I used more =
than one kerf as required to get the downbearing I wanted.  I found I =
had to remove most of the screws completely and lube with bees wax in =
order to pull them down.  Rust and corrosion made them just too tight to =
move.  This worked rather well.  I cleaned the bridge by clamping a =
brass brush to the blade of an electric carving knife. The brass brush =
was about the size of a toothbrush.  Then by sections I warmed the =
bridge with a hair drier and applied Epotec 301 epoxy to all the pins. I =
then rewarmed with the hair drier to help penetration of the epoxy.  =
Since that is slow setting stuff, I waited awhile and then removed the =
excess by brushing the whole bridge with a dry paint brush, wiping the =
brush often.  I ended up with a nice looking bridge with a coating of =
epoxy on it.  Might not look good enough for a grand, but looks okay.  =
After overnight cure, The surface seemed a bit tacky, so I sprinkled =
talc on  it and brushed it in and then blew off the excess with my air =
hose.  That worked pretty good considering it didn't take long at all =
except for the cure time.

So now, I'm starting to regulate and replace the dampers.  Hammers are =
decent but not original.
I now have several questions, since I'm not one who (only works on =
Steinways), actually seldom do.

In the piano action handbook it calls for .4 inches dip.  I see specs  =
that vary for dip and I've thought that since the dip is the first =
interface between the performer and the instrument it would seem that =
uniform dip from piano to piano would be desirable. In most cases =
regulation can compensate for different dips, so a uniform dip could be =
used.  I'm not a player so perhaps I don't have a feel for this. Anybody =
have any strong opinions on this?  How sacred is following the =
manufacturing specs regarding dip?

I found that repetition was poor in the high treble.  I found action =
centers were a bit tight especially the jack.  After water and alky, =
protec and the zapper, it repeats better, but key 88 has a chunk of lead =
in it and the dowel capstan pushes up about14 grams.  Now the weight of =
the whippen is not much more than that, so if there is some lost motion =
then the whippen may not even push the key down beyond the lost motion =
and that will produce a key leveling problem.
Question:  What is the criteria for jack tightness?
A gram gauge at the end of the jack should read no more that what?
Question:  Should I remove lead to get better repetion and have better =
up weight and down weight?  Or am I missing something?

Last question:  The dampers of S&S uprights as well as Mason and Hamlin =
are very different than most uprights.  The felt between the block and =
the popsicle stick is much thicker than standard supply house dampers. =
They have the popsicle sticks in the center section as well.  What do =
you do to replace those?  Steinway has a set of dampers in their price =
list for 121 dollars, and I don't even know what they consist of.  =
Anybody use them, or do you just adapt standard dampers?

Comments anybody?  Thanks in advance!!!

Carl Meyer

 =20