More False Beats S&S

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:09:37 -0500

Grin... sorry... of course I meant re-seating the strings on the =
bridge... this also is the case if you tap the pins themselves a bit =
deeper into the holes.  Rons comments pertaining to the so called =
"bottoming out theory" and to this string seating buisness jive well =
with my own experience.

Hi Richard. I don't mean to burst your bubble. You have good =
suggestions. But this is a four-year-old Steinway, and the customer is =
not aware that her piano is imperfect. Depending on what is ultimately =
the cause of the falseness, the potential for a warranty claim is always =
a possibility. So, being that the customer is not looking for a solution =
at this time, and I am not looking for a mistake to make, I wish to =
simply understand as much as possible, and not tap at this point.  :-)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 2:57 AM
  Subject: Re: More False Beats S&S

  Farrell wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts Richard.
In this case, I am not entirely convinced at this point that I am =
looking ata case of loose bridge pins.<
As far as lessening of the falseness, youprobably achieved a very =
temporary solution by re-seating the pins.

  Grin... sorry... of course I meant re-seating the strings on the =
bridge... this also is the case if you tap the pins themselves a bit =
deeper into the holes.  Rons comments pertaining to the so called =
"bottoming out theory" and to this string seating buisness jive well =
with my own experience.

Reseating the pins? I did not push/tap the pins. I did however seat =
thestrings in every gently way I could think of.
Have you noticed that Ron has not provided input on my recent post =
regardinghow many hours one would charge a client to recap a bass bridge =
(I didrequest that no bionic bridge dudes need reply!)?  ;-)

  Perhaps he was in for a bionic check up .... or too busy with those =
two preverted posts... you know the ones... "zipping up the fly in =
public" and " sun bleached tail". grin....

Terry FarrellPiano Tuning & ServiceTampa, =
Floridamfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com----- Original Message -----From: =
"Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>To: =
<pianotech@ptg.org>Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 5:21 PMSubject: Re: =
More False Beats S&S
Farrell wrote:
Tuning a 1996 S&S M today I noticed many prominent false beats in =
thehi-treble section.....cymbal-tone syndrome.... Gently place rod on =
top
of bridge pin... False beat does not go away, but.tone dies out real =
fast,like the string was poorly muted.
    >=20
Terry I have noticed the same thing on the Steinway grands, and have =
yetto encounter that same muting of the sound on other pianos... I =
reallydon't know why this is the case... I do know that if you find you =
canget rid of some of the falseness this way, then CA or epoxy in =
theBridge pin holes will help.As far as the cymbal syndrome is =
concerned... you are not the firstperson to mention this in relation to =
Steinways (or other grands withhighly active front duplexes) Solution is =
to redress the capo bar andvoice the hammers. You can also get into =
retuning the duplex... read EdMcMorrows book for some interesting =
thoughts on this point. He refers tothis "cymbal syndrome" of yours to a =
kind of whistling noise. At least Ithink you are talking about the same =
thing... :)
So what happened in the lower half of this section? Why did jus!
touching
(super-duper lightly only) the forward bridge pins cause the strings to
mute
out? On the Boston that I posted on recently, as well as many other
pianos,
you hear a false beat and when you press gently on loose bridge pin,
false
beat is eliminated AND tone remains clear
Don't worry about the muting effect... it wont happen when you CA =
orEpoxy the Bridge pins. As far as lessening of the falseness, =
youprobably achieved a very temporary solution by re-seating the pins. =
Ilike Ron N's position on this seating business... makes a lot of sense.
I'm really trying to understand the causes of so much garbage sounds
that
emanate from the high treble of pianos (er, a, well thinking of some
other
pianos, I guess anywhere on the scale!). Any thoughts on this situation?
You and just about everyone else. Its fascinating for sure. Lots =
ofsources of diverse types of noise and falseness. As far as the =
mutingeffect you observed... I think .... and only think... (as I am but =
anegg in these matters) that the Steinway bridge and bridge =
pinconfiguration is like highly sensitive to changes in mass. Clamp a =
smallvise grips onto a bridge pin on a Steinway and the string goes =
deadsounding... but on many other pianos there is only a small =
difference insound quality. Why this is the case...beats me but I bet =
the answer isan interesting one.
Terry FarrellPiano Tuning & ServiceTampa, =
Floridamfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
--Richard BrekneRPT, N.P.T.F.Bergen, =
Norwaymailto:Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no

--=20