bittersweet day

Roy Ulrich ulrich@rangenet.com
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 15:59:13 -0600

That sounds a little reassuring however:  Sears, J.C. Penneys, LTV =
Steel, Ray-O-Vac batteries, Dexter Shoe Co., Sara Lee, Clarks Shoes - =
the list is too long to provide in it's entirety. The fact of the matter =
is good jobs in this country are continuing to relocate in China, =
Mexico, Argentina, Taiwan - you name it - anywhere a company can get =
away with 8 cents an hour wages.

I live in an area that was very dependant upon LTV Steel as well as many =
other mining companies who are finding it impossible to compete with =
illegal foreign steel imports. The grocery store and the liquor store =
are holding their own as are the power and gas utilities. THIS tuner is =
experiencing a significant decline in tuning appointments as the =
customer base favors spending what little they have left after the =
heating bills to buy food - not tuning / restoration.

Sorry kids, but we're in a recession and I see no light at the end of =
the tunnel. When ALL the mfg jobs are gone and the people in this =
country who used to make a good living are selling Chineese shoes at =
Wall Mart for minimum wage or a tad better, who is going to be left to =
buy those tunings??

Willem, I'm truly sorry to see you close your store, and I wish you the =
very best in the future as I do all of our colleagues on this list. I =
only hope that the "luxury" service we provide can withstand this =
economic attack, (from within by the way.)

Roy Ulrich
  ----- Original Message -----=20