Essex Musings

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 16:59:31 -0500

>Hi Paul,
>I'm not sure if this answers your question, but it does fit in the category
>of trivia.  I asked John Patton and Gary Greene how it was decided to name
>the new piano Essex.  They said it was another town in Massachusetts, like
>Boston.  I suggested that Cambridge was a classier name, they didn't agree
>:>))  I guess that's why I am not employed by Steinway & Sons.  What I'm
>unclear about is why they are even choosing names in Massachusetts.  What's
>wrong with a piano named The Bronx?;>)
>
>jeannie

"Steinway Music Properties", the holding company for Steinway Piano
before the Selmer buyout, and S&S becoming a publicly traded stock,
had their offices in Waltham, MA. I had heard that "Waltham" was the
"beta name" for the Boston line, but market research, focus groups,
etc. nixed that name. Some of the head execs are still around the
Boston area, thus the naming strategy.
Or at least that's the rumors I heard!

Patrick Draine
Billerica, MA