Impact Lever

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:35:02 -0600

Hi Dave,
This is an update to my last post. I am almost too excited to type.
Field tested the new Grand T on a Yamaha spinet today.
This is the hammer that I took to Reno to show. The hammer was perfect =
with only two of the 4 weights that are available with the hammer. The =
weights are solidly attached to the hammer shaft but can be removed to =
change the amount of impact.
By having the weight attached to the shaft there is a better feel of =
solid impact to drive the pin. By having the weight attached to the =
handel with a roller bearing and spring , like your hammer, much of the =
impact is lost in the handel much like vibrations (energy) leaking past =
the capo bar.
My hammer is still in the process of design but should be in production =
by summers end. I have the major hurdles out of the way with only the =
finishing touches to go.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dave Bunch=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 3:53 PM
  Subject: Impact Lever

  I ordered a Mehaffey impact lever from Pianotek. They sent me one of =
those adjustable weight levers as is shown in the Schaff catalog. A =
rather presumptuous substitution, but I thought I would give it a try on =
my own vertical with typical "new piano" pin tightness.

  With the weight all the way to the end I would bang this thing over =
and over without the pin moving. This is not good. Is this particular =
lever too light? Is the Mehaffey heavier? Does anyone who has tried both =
have any insight?

  Dave Bunch