bosendorfer research

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 22:51:16 EDT

In a message dated 7/26/01 7:20:45 AM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I'm always trying to better my ability to value pianos. My understanding
> (from Larry Fine's book) is that a good rule of thumb is to devalue a piano
> from new, 25% every 5 to 10 years. Using that, this Bosey might be worth
> less than $40,000. Larry's guide does not take into account calculating
> cost of repairs.
>
> I curious about just how you figure for something like this. Is this your
> general rule to take 10% off per year and then subtract cost of repairs to
> make it like new? My guess is this would fall apart for a piano that is in
> very good condition and 20 years old, but might be real good for older
> pianos. Please fill me/us in on any details I have not identified. Thanks!
>
> Terry Farrell

Terry

I think Larry's figures are too high. The way he has it, in 40 years a piano
would have no value. We all know that is not true. Even when you take my
figure of 10% per ten years you have to take into consideration overall
condition, original quality, etc. And that is not even counting cost of
repairs.

Wim