more on this temperament tangent

Fri, 2 Nov 2001 07:29:56 -0800

To come up with a theory and look selectively for evidence to support it =
is hardly a scientific or logical way to approach this argument.   There =
are many examples of composers composing in their heads and transferring =
their ideas to paper.  To declare in no uncertain terms that they must =
have been hearing a temperament is almost laughable.  Composers =
certainly chose keys for a variety of reasons, as sure as there are a =
variety of composers.  Some claimed that certain keys had certain =
inherent characteristics, I know people with perfect pitch (non =
pianists), who claim that.  Chopin, on the other hand, often chose keys =
for almost purely pianistic reasons.  Remember that he started his =
students by playing in the key of B because it more naturally fit the =
hand.  Arguments about why people didn't use certain compositional =
elements 300 years ago and to ascribe those reasons to the =
characteristics of meantone temperaments fails to look at the history =
and development of composition and what were considered acceptable =
harmonic structures in general.   So many points have been made in the =
course of this discussion that defy the basics of critical thinking that =
it's hard to even remember them all.  There is a terrific book by a =
Barbara Tuchman called "The March of Folly".  It is a book about how =
governments pursue policies not in their own best interest.  In it she =
ascribes this tendency to something in human nature.  When people commit =
to something and discover that there commitment may not have been well =
founded, rather than reassess the situation, they tend to commit further =
to their folly seeking ways to justify it.  I think that is what we have =
here.  Which is not to say that there isn't merit to different methods =
of tuning.  But to argue that temperament is the foundation of all =
musical composition is, in my opinion, a march of folly.

David Love

I=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20