YC Strike Weights etc

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 12:01:40 +0100

David Love wrote:

> [...]

Ah yes.. never heard anyone call it this before..

> The reason I think that it's important to know the BW is that you don't know
> where your FW's should be if you have no point of reference.

But you do have a point of reference. And one that works
great and results in a fine playing action. You have the SW
curve and a table of FW maximums, and a set of clearly
defined relationships to put these two into perspective. No
doubt one can get more involved and much more creative using
Stanwood proceedures..but BW can indeed be treated as
something you yourself specify. In which case you dont need
to know it ahead of time.

> I think it's a  mistake to rely to heavily on the assist spring.  Nine or ten > grams is
> plenty (though I think you can go to 15 with problems of bouncy keys).  By
> comparing the BW with the FW's (with assist springs detached) you can tell
> how much you will have to rely on the assist spring with the FW's at or
> comfortably under maximums (I prefer to set them at 10-15% below maximum).

I would agree on this point at least in general. I prefer no
assist springs myself, but I know there are lots of pros and
cons and I probably havnt made my final judgement on their
use.

> ..... Might be a reason to keep the FW's a little lower on the
> naturals though.  With the higher KR on the sharps you will have
> corresponding higher FW's to accomodate weaker force leverage.  So you might
> consider keeping the sharps at FW maximum and allowing the naturals to come
> in a bit lower.
>
> David Love

Hmmm.. I will think about this. Thanks for the fine words of
advice David.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.