89 note scale

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 06:11:51 -0600

Del,
At 00:52 11/03/2001 -0800, you wrote:

>No, I expect the extra notes were added because some composer or performer
>wanted them. Once that first piano was designed and built it would have
>been relatively easy to continue building it. And why not? It's great
>marketing even if of little practical value -- although I imagine there
>were pianists like Oscar Peterson around back then as well.
>Del

When I visited Wiener Neustadt, the answer to that question sounded
suspiciously like an excuse to make the soundboard larger.  I suspect also
that a large factor was "bragging rights".  >FULL 8 OCTAVES!"<  They
weren't the first, though.  If my wetware is correct, Pape built an 8
octave grand in the early 1800s, only it was F0 to F8.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Decorah, Ia.  mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu

then used against you.