EBVT

Bobby R. Sims sims-n-sons@ev1.net
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 09:07:47 -0600

Being new to the list I finally figured out what EBVT meant.  Mr. Sivak
spelled it out.  I have seen the abbreviation for weeks on this temperament
thread.  Now another amateur question:  How do you tune an Equal Beating
Victorian Temperament?  Don't forget I'm new.  That helps the question seem
less ignorant.

I am new to the whole idea of temperaments.  I have a Korg N1 synth that
gives me a chart on some different temperaments and the ability to program
them into the keyboard.  I have done so and have liked some of them.  There
are some that are useless to me but I'm sure that they have their use in
certain forms or styles of music.

If the musician needs a temperament that theoretically "sounds the same" ET
is the one he is likely to be accustomed to.  I play for my Church at times
and when I have to move the key signature to accomodate someone's voice
range I need the melody to remain the same.  That doesn't happen on most of
the temperaments that I have programmed into my keyboard at home.  And for
the use of Gm9 in a 2,5,1 jazz progression some of them are terrible.

Continue on with the temperament thread as I watch it closely.  I like to
hold my idea that each temperament probably has it's use but probably does
not have EVERY use.

Ok, I'll go and quit bothering you all (ya'll).  Any help on the tuning of
an EBVT would be helpful.

Flame suit zipped (as you've said),

Thank you for your help,

Bobby Sims