insulting Ed

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 22:01:25 +0100

A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

> Greetings,
> I posted;
> <<>   It was just this last week that a faculty member of Julliard
> looked at me  and said, "But Bach used equal temperament for everything,
> didn't
> he?"
> Dave asks:
> He/she did teach theater or dance right?  This surely wasn't a MUSIC
> faculty member, was it?>>
>
> Sadly, yes.  Touring and giving masterclasses, performing with
> symphonies(Mozart),  paradign of academia.  I was amazed  that he didn't even
> realize that the piano he was using for his demonstrations was tuned in a
> Young, and the one next to it was in ET.

aint it the truth.. It is indeed incredible how far apart
the "piano tuner" and the "pianist" have grown these past
150 years. Who'da thought it was possible for pianists to
sooooo do theeee degree forget virtually everything about
the instrument they make their living on aside from finger
technique.

  The students, on the other hand,
> were very aware of the difference, so now we have a crop of musicians coming
> up that are sensitized to nuances that the old guard seems to be oblivious
> of.  This is progress, not the sensational kind like a well-known master
> suddenly changing directions, but at least the promise of a future with
> pianists aware of the alternatives.

Good for you ED. HT enthusiasts or not.. the least we can
expect of ourselves (instrumentalists and technicians alike)
is to have a rudimentary working knowledge of these issues.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.