89 note scale

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 16:26:14 -0800 (PST)

> > By the way, if there is NO way I could get 10
> octaves,
> > I could settle for 8 and a half (C0 to G8).
> Contrary
> > to what Bruce Stevens in Bellflower, CA, says, 88
> keys
> > (or even 97) just isn't enough for my style of
> > playing. :)
>
> If you're willing to pay for the tooling and custom
> work, anything can be
> built. Again, the question will be whether or not
> the thing will be
> realistically playable when it is finished. You
> might spend some time
> looking at the differences in design between that
> 150 cm grand and a typical
> 275 cm grand and then consider what additional
> compromises will have to be
> made to stretch the thing out to 444.5 cm. (Why 14'
> 7"? Where does that
> number come from?)

Just off the top of my head.  Basically I'd like
either the A0 string length (low A on a normal 88-key
piano) to be longer than the same note in the 1924 11
foot 8 inch Challen baby (yes, I know I should say
"concert"...) grand, which has an A1 string length of
9 feet 11 inches (119 inches), OR I would like it long
enough to have wound bichords as low as C1 or A0, have
the plain trichords start at C2 or lower, and have the
bass/treble break at B1/C2 or lower (wherever the
wound string/plain string break is, unless, if there
are wound trichords, it would be better to put it
either at the bichord/trichord break or in the middle
of the trichords.

> > I'm curious about something:  What do you think
> would
> > be the best possible scale it'd be possible to
> have in
> > a small upright that, say, is 39 inches tall and
> 60
> > inches wide?  (by scale I mean speaking length, #
> of
> > notes on bass bridge, start of bichord and
> trichord
> > strings).  Provided that there's a way to have a
> > halfway decent backlength and whatever, would it
> be
> > possible to have an A1 speaking length of, say, 45
> or
> > 48 inches, start the bichords at note A1, the
> > trichords at D#3 and have the break at D3/D#3?
>
> This is something you can really figure out for
> yourself. Go back and read
> the articles I wrote on the problems of small piano
> design in the Journal
> (July, 1997 and April, 1998). Most of what you will
> need to work this out is
> in there.

Would it be on the Journal reprints CD by any chance?
If so, what should I search for?