Duplex

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 17:45:56 -0700

    Ron Overs wrote;

    "While the pull on one unison will indeed affect the=20
rear duplex length of the same unison, the effect will not continue=20
around the hitch pitch to the adjacent unison which is sharing the=20
same hitch pin. Yes I know, I've heard many who dispute this also,=20
but they are wrong provided that the string tension is not too=20
different for the two unison strings concerned. Sure, if there's a=20
huge tension difference there will be a tendency for the unison to=20
pull around the hitch. But under normal scaling tension deviations,=20
this is not an issue."

    This may be a little off the fine nuances spoken about here, but =
it's a funny story anyway.=20

    This week, I had a lady call me to do an appraisal on, and tune her =
piano. It was an old Estey baby grand. On the phone she said that one of =
the strings had broken when she was attempting to tune it. And, oh yes, =
it had a broken middle pedal that got that way when her Brother-in-law =
moved it for her. You get the picture.=20
    Anyway, I get there, and naturally, it's a wound string which she =
had told me was plain wire (What's the difference anyway?)  Hadn't been =
tuned since she tried to tune it TEN YEARS AGO! =20
    What ties this in to Ron's statement is this; When I gave the piano =
a cursory once through at pitch, just so she could play it before she =
buys a new piano, ( "I'm going down tomorrow, it's time to get back into =
my music.") I found that some of the unisons on the right were tuned a =
pure fifth sharp! I didn't think that the wire could go that high =
without breaking. Man, you should have heard what it sounded like when I =
brought them down, it was a long long way. But that tension hadn't =
creeped around those hitch pins, even with that big a change in tension, =
even after ten years.
    Funny thing too, when I lowered the pitch on those notes in the =
center section, which was in the temperament area, the only area that =
she was tuning in, it raised the pitch from being 20 cents flat to 15 =
cents, so I had to start all over.
    The fact that the soundboard was separating from the rim didn't help =
things, I guess. When you hit a hard tuning blow, and held it, there was =
kind of a groan to it. Tuning pins barely holding,bass bridges broken at =
every string,  that's why she's getting a new one.=20
We'll give her $500 for it, and send it down to SAMA.=20

Kevin Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com