Oops?

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 17:10:03 -0400

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
----- Original Message -----
From: "Warren Fisher" <fish@communique.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2001 5:07 PM
Subject: Oops?

> The other day I was chatting with my customer (big
mistake right there),
> while setting up a SAT pitch raise of about 125
cents on a small
> console. Now I usually do a two stage PR with more
than 100 cents
> flatness to avoid over-stressing the strings and of
course in middle of
> octave 4, I get that lovely pranging sound!
>
> So what do I do now, go on and possibly break more
strings or reduce the
> overset?
>
> I chose the latter.  With the SAT at A440, I
continued (No more strings
> broke). Another mitigating factor- I normally
increase the pitch overset
> above the treble break by 15% of the measured
flatness, in this case
> 18-1/2 cents to allow for the lower pitches usually
found in the upper
> areas of neglected pianos.
>
> Now I have a piano at pitch to D4, -24 cents at A4
and about -15 in the
> treble.
>
> Being an old fighter jock, I attacked the biggest
problem first; the -24
> cents. Starting at D#4, I overset 6 cents and
proceeded to the break.
> Next I read the flatness in several areas of the
treble and averaged to
> -16cents. I overset 4 cents (I figured I had overset
enough on the first
> time through), and went to 88.
>
> What did I have now?  A mess!
> It was on pitch through the wound strings, about G3.
All the wire below
> D#4 was about 3 cents flat. D#4 to the break was 2-3
cents sharp and
> most of the treble was 5 cents or better flat.  Go
figure!

> Obviously, I don't have a real good mental picture
of what was going on
> there. A couple of times in the past, I would put
extra overset in
> somewhere in the pitch raise and for some reason not
get back into the
> page I was using and would tune a bunch of notes
with a zero in the
> right window.  When I went back over them with
correct settings the
> notes were always over-sharp on the next time
through. You have to
> reduce the overset through the section in error
about 10% and then go