Off topic-Rhapsody in Blue

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 04 Nov 2001 21:34:29 -0500

Dan Dannenfelser wrote:

 > I've been butchering my way through the piano solo version of
 > "Rhapsody in
 > Blue," and I'd like to obtain a few of the better recorded versions,
 > in order
 > to feel properly humbled.  Any suggestions or favorites out there?

I had the pleasure of doing a similar butchering job a few years ago.
While I didn't search very hard, the only recorded version I have is
"Gershwin Plays Gershwin". Frankly, I was always suspicious of whether
or not that was actually Gershwin playing, because it was one of those
cheap CDs with no liner notes. If you know of any other good versions,
please let me know.

Another thing I've been curious about: Do you happen to know if the solo
version is an arrangement that was done by Gershwin, or was it done by
some music publisher? Mine is published by Warner Brothers Publications,
and it doesn't say anything about who did the solo arrangement. I was
always curious about that.

Sorry that I have more questions than answers on your post!

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island - Nassau