Weighing Off An Action

Fri, 9 Nov 2001 15:06:49 -0800

If the keys genuinely have no lead in them, then taking weight off the =
hammer is probably a mistake.  I would guess they are on the light side =
since 60 grams downweight with no lead (depending on leverage) suggests =
a pretty light hammer to begin with and there should be plenty of room =
to add weight to the front of the keys.  This is an area that really =
requires looking at the whole picture to assess leverage and the =
relationship between the front weight of the key and the hammer weight.  =
Read the Stanwood articles I suggested earlier.  They will give you an =
idea of the things you should be thinking about.

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: November 09, 2001 2:30 PM
  Subject: Re: Weighing Off An Action

  In a message dated 11/9/01 12:39:22 PM Central Standard Time, =
pcpoulso@pacbell.net writes:=20

    Hello All: I have hung some new hammers and shanks on the action =
from a Edmund Gram baby grand.  It has no key weights, and with the new =
parts the downweight on all the keys except the upper two octaves is in =
the 60+ gram range. The friction levels in the upper octaves are =
acceptable, and as the rest of the action has the same parts and has =
been reconditioned the same way I don't believe that friction is the =
culprit here.  However, I have never weighted an action before.  I am =
going to look through the Journal CDs for articles on weighing off an =
action, and would appreciate any advice or input as well.  Is this a =
case of fools rushing in where angels fear to tread, or an opportunity =
to learn a new skill?  Thanks, Patrick Poulson, RPT

  Patrick=20

  You might want to talk to Wally Brooks about this. There is a lot of =
differences is the weight of hammers. Did you by any chance keep the old =
hammers and shanks? If you did, weigh some of them, and then weigh the =
new ones. According to Wally, one once of hammer weight adds about 6 =
ounces to downweight, or visa a versa. If you didn't keep the old set, =
you might want to take weight off the hammer and shank, and see if that =
reduces the downweight.=20

  Wim=20