Knuckle Size (was Re: All in a row)

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 11:11:37 -0500

At 11:44 PM -0800 11/10/01, David Love wrote:
>Bill:
>
>Do you have a knuckle radius that you prefer to combine with that key ratio,
>or do you vary it aiming instead for a particular SWR range?

In general, I prefer a larger diameter knuckle on the assumption that
a smaller diameter presents a steeper curve to a jack sliding out
from under it, thus compressing the feeling of escapement into a
smaller portion of the keystrokes arc. Escapement is enough of an
obstacle to ppp playing. Frequently it determines the bottom end of
the dynamic range. I'd like to keep it at a minimum.

That being said, an extra mm of knuckle diameter can rob whatever
advantage you may gain in the knuckle mounting distance. But I'll buy
that in the larger knuckle diameter and pay for it at the key ratio.
It all comes out in the wash. Regardless of what leverages inside the
lever train yield a 5.5 SWR (beit a 25mm knuckle mounting distance or
a .40 key ratio <g>), this overall SWR will dictate the dip.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I go, two plus like, three is pretty much totally five. Whatever"
     ...........The new math