F3 noise / buzz puzzler

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 10:33:13 -0600

List,

For those that enjoy this type thing.

Encountered a fun problem that took some a little bit of investigation to
discover the cause.  I would never have guessed it.

Customer reported a noise / buzz on note F3.  Piano is a fairly new
Steinway L.  I couldn't really hear it, but said I would be on the lookout
during the tuning.  After an initial pitch change and halfway through the
final pass, I paused to see if I could hear this thing.

I kind of leaned my head down towards the keyboard with my right ear facing
the tail end of the piano while striking F3 and its neighbor notes, one at
a time.  This time I actually did hear something, though it was very faint,
and it did not happen all the time.

I further leaned more towards the tail end of the piano, and this sound
became more distinct, making it easier to locate its vicinity.  It
definitely was coming from the area of the F3 damper assembly.

Care to speculate?

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731