Odd German Upright

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:53:03 -0500

On Monday, November 12, 2001, at 06:52 PM, Joe Morocco wrote:

> I recently tuned an German Upright  that had 4 strings  on every note
> from
> D5 up to G7  85 note.. Neeedless to say this took extra time to
> tune !!!!
> The piano had a lot of power and was hard to controll when played.
>
> Has anyone in the group seen any pianos like this ???

Yes, Joe, but the 4th string was behind the the 3 struck by the hammer,
so it vibrated sympathetically. I pulled it off the sidewalk into my
apartment at 11425 Mayfield Road, Cleveland, and did most of my
"practice tuning" on it while studying piano tuning &c. at Robert
Perkins School of Piano Technology. Long, long ago ...
It was made in Jamestown, NY, and had a very Teutonic name.

Patrick Draine