1StringPitch Raise

Jon Ralinovsky ralinoj@muohio.edu
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:21:54 -0500

Hi John,
It's my understanding that for pitch raises, one raises 25% if tuning=20
all three strings of a unison at one time, and 33% if just tuning a=20
single string (and then getting the other two strings after all the=20
single strings are pulled up).  Just do whatever works best for you.=20
At least in the second scenario, it sounds as if you're not=20
calculating the over-pull correctly.  You could check the pianotech=20
archives on the subject - this would give you some more information.

Concerning broken plates, you should read the Journal that covered=20
this subject in detail.  Strings break before properly cast plates=20
do.  You shouldn't be worried about breaking any more plates!

Respectfully,
Jon

>(Dear list, I'm posting this again, hoping for a response.)
>=20    I've been experimenting with an old pitch raising technique for=20
>instruments which are more than 30=A2 flat that works for me, but want=20
>to improve it and would like some feedback.
>=20    I strip-mute the whole piano, over-pull the wound strings (3.5=A2=20
>max.), then taper the over-pull from +5.5=A2 in the tenor to as much=20
>as +10=A2 at C6and up. When I encounter an area of the piano that is=20
>more than 30 cents flat (that is, where I would be over-pulling by=20
>10 cents), I change over from tuning unisons to quickly and quietly=20
>tuning only the center string (+10=A2 max) without pulling the mute.=20
>Then go back to the unisons and continue with the pitch raise and=20
>the tapered over-pull.
>=20    This quick pre-loading of the board before the actual "pitch=20
>raise" seems to get me to pitch faster (2 pitch raises max), and=20
>being one who has broken a plate in a client's piano=20
>by overstressing one area of the plate, it gives me a little more=20
>comfort when I'm doing a 100=A2 p.r. to have 1/3rd of the scale at=20
>pitch before pulling up the rest.
>=20    I have also (unsuccessfully) experimented with this technique=20
>where the piano needed only a small p.r. (say, under 10=A2) and time=20
>was short. I don't know if this is just a bad idea, or if I'm not=20
>calculating the over-pull properly, but I'm far from the mark.
>=20    How do I calculate the amount to over-pull that center string in=20
>the above scenarios, and what are the opinions of the second=20
>scenario?
>
>Thanks for the help.
>John Tonyan

Jon Ralinovsky