Duplex

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 01:26:55 EST

To Dave M. Porritt,

At least in the recent past and on my list serve e mail I haven't seen any
inquiry regarding the time factor in tuning duplex scales, so your question
may be of interest to a number of our colleagues as well as your self. In my
experience the job of tuning the duplex scale in any kind of piano whether it
be contiguous or individual oliquot duplex scale design must be approached
separately from tuning a piano for immediate use. i usualy allow two to four
hours for tuning a duplex scale, and charge accordingly as an added job, like
voicing, or regulation or repairs. In effect it is a voicing product as it
related directly to the tone of the instrument.

The duplex can be way out of tune and many pianists as well as audience may
not mind. It happens too frequently. However, more and more discerning
artists are coming to appreciate the higher level of purity and fullness of a
piano whose duplex scale is in tune.

Your note does include an interesting idea that has been used successfully by
tuners who tune duplex scales. The idea of "massaging" the duplex scale.
Basically what this is is stretching, as when putting new strings on a
stringed instrument. This does bring the string down and provide a stretch
and evenness to the string . But as to the application of this stretching to
a tuning job, I can not recommend it if it is used in lieu of placement of
the harmonic bridge.

The duplex portion of the string is comparatively short and the most
effective method of tuning this segment, and having it stay in tune is to
adjust the placement of the harmonic bridge (duplex) to a point on the plate
that promotes a fundamental duplex tone that is in harmony with the speaking
length.

Hope this is helpful.

Dan Franklin, RPT