Charging overtime

Patrick Greene greeneguy63@mindspring.com
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 10:51:58 -0500

I have a friend who is doing my marketing for me.  He is also doing up a =
website and is working on an extensive database program for my business. =
 He recently sent out a little flyer to all my current customers and I =
got about 20 calls.  I am a little apprehensive about "cold calling", =
but feel that I need to do it to get the business.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 7:41 AM
  Subject: Re: Charging overtime

  In a message dated 11/17/01 12:48:43 PM !!!First Boot!!!, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

    I don't mean to open a can of dead worms, but could you expound a =
little on your system of calling people for tunings. This sounds like =
such an intrusion to me - that is why I don't do it. But if folks =
actually tell you they like it, well, I guess they must like it! And it =
sure seems to work for you!=20

    Could you give an example script of what you would say to Mrs. =
Typicalpianoclient at the first (or whenever) appointment? Then what do =
you say when you call. Maybe I'm overly concerned about intruding on =
their lives. I HATE telemarketers. And I know you are not in that role =
at all, because they have requested the call. But somehow I still kinda =
feel that way. Please tell me what conversations you go through to set =
this up.=20

    Thanks big time.=20

  Terry=20

  If Clyde's method of calling people will work for you, then by all =
means, go ahead. But I have some thoughts on the matter. First of all, =
with today's marketing on the telephone, people are much more aware of =
any kind of sales pitches on the telephone. Most do not like to be =
called in the evening, no matter what they are being offered or asked. =
As an example, several years ago, in an attempt to drum up more =
business, I asked my wife to call customers who hadn't had their piano =
tuned in 5 or more years. Although most were polite, some didn't even =
want to hear her "spiel."  Since it wasn't someone they knew, as soon as =
she introduced herself as being with a "company," the automatic answer =
was "we don't want any," or "I'm not interested."=20

  The second reason for not calling is the time it takes. I used to call =
my customers. But then Julie Berry gave a class on how to get repeat =
business by sending out post cards,  and waiting for the customers to =
call. So I did an experiment. Over a 6 month period I sent out post =
cards, one moth saying I would call to schedule an appointment, and the =
next month asking them to call me, and so forth. At the end of the six =
months, I could not see any appreciable difference in my tuning income. =
That told me that those people who want their piano tuned will call you, =
or will say yes when you cal them, and those that do not want their =
piano tuned will not call you, or will say no when you call them. So why =
spend 3 or 4 hours a week on the phone, when you're income will not be =
any more, or less?=20

  Wim=20