Growing Leads

Elian Degen J. degen@iespana.es
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 23:43:08 -0400

Hello List and friends

I used to think in the same way, that it is due to the purity of the lead
used, but I have been observing lately that more and more pianos are
presenting this problem were I live.

Caracas is a tropical place, and here it has been happening from a long
time. We have been seeking a solution to this problem from long ago.

In my experience and other technicians in Venezuela, the only way to "cure"
this problem is changing the leads, we tried everithing, from filing to
cemical treatments, and though you can  slow down the process the end result
is removing and changing.

Last year I had some friends of mine who worked at an investigative lab to
run tests on several leads and the result was as follows.

The basic problem for the lead growth came from the lead reacting with
atmosphere polutants, now a day atmosphere in many cities is becoming acid
due to contamination, that is already known to be causing grat damage to
historical buildings all over the world.

Old pianos took longer, atmosphere was cleaner, but it eventualy happens to
all pianos now, How fast it will be depends on how the lead was handled, If
lead was manufactures in a clean environment wil stay longer, if lead was
made in an already acid environment will start sooner.

If you need more details I can search for the exact report which I do not
know where I filed it, as I can remember it had to do with car and
industrial contamination  and is very much like what you can obsereve in
your car battery when leads react with the battery acid fumes..

Elian Degen