Reverse crown was agraffe bridges

Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:44:57 -0800

   Delwin D Fandrich wrote:=20
         =20
        All pianos have both front and rear duplexes. The question is =
how long they are, what the string deflection angle is (at the front), =
and whether or not they are tuned.

        Del

      Isnt this a rather.... wide definition of a duplex Del ? I mean =
when the get to the point of being 3-5 mm long and muted at that it =
seems a bit of a stretch to call the thing a duplex.... or what ?=20

      --=20

      What would you prefer to call it? Duplex simply means 'consisting =
of two parts.' Beyond that we really have to get more specific. If we =
are going to go to the trouble of tuning the duplex surely it's not too =
difficult to say so. And we have a perfectly good word we can use: =
aliquot, meaning, "to divide something exactly." Or we can say the =
duplex is "an aliquot part" of the speaking length meaning the duplex is =
divided into some fractional part of the speaking length.=20

      Del

  Why not call these lengths what they really are in our context...in =
the most general sense they are simply non speaking lengths.=20

  Ok. They are all duplex lengths that are non-speaking. At least the =
way I design and build (rebuild too, for that) pianos, they are =
non-speaking. If they are tuned duplex string segments -- i.e., aliquot =
string segments -- they are most often speaking lengths to one degree or =
another.

  In more specific sense they are front and back duplex lengths which =
may or may not be at the same time an aliquot part.  Correct me if I am =
wrong but doenst the aliquot part infer whole number fractional parts... =
like 1/3, 1/4 etc... not  0.25643 or the like ???=20

  Right. As I said, "...we can say the duplex is 'an aliquot part' of =
the speaking length meaning the duplex is divided into some fractional =
part of the speaking length.' I.e., it is tuned to some fractional part =
of the fundamental.=20

  The word duplex as applied to the string segment between the =
V-bar/agraffe does not imply that it is a specifically tuned string =
segment. Unless, of course, its length is identical to the speaking =
length.=20

  I have for years called these string segments duplex string segments =
regardless of their length--it's how I was taught and it's how many =
others in my circle of acquaintances have referred to them. It seems a =
good convention to follow. When they are tuned it is easily stated and =
the word 'aliquot,' or and 'aliquot part,' is quite useful. You are, of =
course, free to call them whatever you'd like.=20

  Del