Getting Paid

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:40:29 EST

In a message dated 11/20/01 3:29:48 PM Central Standard Time,
crbrpt@bellatlantic.net writes:

> This time of year I get many inquiries, "Do you take Visa?"  I once checked
> into this, opened up a special business bank account, but stopped short of
> purchasing a terminal.  Just seemed like too much hassle.
>
> However, being as mercenary as I am, I want to be able to accept anything
> that looks like money and make it most convenient for the people who pay me.
> To this end, I have opened a Pay Pal account.
>
> With PayPal you can send or receive money from anyone with an email address.
> A person opens an account at www.paypal.com and has it linked to either or
> both a checking account or credit card.  It seems to be easy, cheap or free,
> and no risk.  And a good way to accept credit card payments without all the
> hassle.
>
> My question is for those of you who accept Pay Pal, when asked whether or
> not you take VISA, do you say "just send the funds to my PayPal account" or
> do you go home, log onto your account, and send a Request for Money to the
> client?
>
> Carol Beigel

Carol

I don't have Paypal, but as a consumer, I would not feel comfortable with it.
Although the Internet is being used more and more to pay bills, etc., as a
business person, I don't think enough of them are experienced enough to use
it.

As far as accepting Visa/MC, or any other credit card, there are advantages
and disadvantages. The advantage is that more people will go ahead and get
their piano tuned if they know they can charge it. Many of my customer
charged the tuning on a frequent flyer card, or a gas account card. For me, I
could be assured of getting my money, even if it took two or three days.

The disadvantage is the cost. It does costs anywhere from 2.5% to 5%. And
that's not counting the hardware you have to buy, the terminal, the printer,
etc., which can cost up to $200, depending on the system, and if you can get
it new or use. You don't even need "official" charge card paper work. All you
need to do is print the customer's card number, and expiration date, on your
invoice, have them sign it, and give them a copy. When you get back to your
office, you enter in the number, and the credit card co. will give you an
authorization #. A couple of days later you have the money in your account.
You will know when you enter the account number if the card is good or not.
If you think the card will not be accepted in the first place, you can get an
authorization over the phone from the customer's house.

The bottom line is, if you think you can get more tuning customer by offering
charge cards, then get the system. Pass the cost on to your customers by
charging a couple of dollars more for a tuning. (Or give them a discount for
paying cash or by check.) If you don't think you can get more customers, then
don't get it.

But it will be interesting to see how many customer will use Paypal.

Wim