compression waves

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 01:52:52 +0000

--============_-1205728428==_ma============
At 1:07 AM -0500 11/21/01, Stephen Birkett wrote:

>As for changing the tension of the wrapping wire what might be happending
>there to change the long. freq? The continuous wrapping wire [it is coiled
>around the core of course] can also produce long. standing waves between
>its two ends, i.e. vibrating co-axial to the wrapping wire (spiral). The
>length of the wrapping wire is much longer than the core, and this can be
>expected to produce quite low frequencies. From string makers' experience,
>can the wrapping parameters mentioned by Del affect the overall length of
>wrapping wire required? That might explain the different frequencies of
>Harold's Mary's lamb.

The greater the pull on the copper, the greater the reduction in
diameter of the cover.  Picture A shows the theoretical covered
string often used by theoretical people in their calculations.
Figure B is a truer depiction of the string.  Sufficient tension
needs to be applied to the covering wire to lash it tightly at all
points to the steel.  The effective 'wrap factor' is a function of
the tangential speed of the wire and the brake on the covering wire.
The further the brake from the steel, the more regular the tension on
the covering wire.  As the copper is forced to coil round the steel
it is flattened considerably at the point of contact and its
structure becomes more brittle.  The reduction of the vertical
diameter varies, according to the gauge of the copper, between 9% and
6%.  At the same time the frequency of the coils exceeds slightly the
nominal diameter of the wire.  A skilled operator will achieve
predictable and regular diameters.  When I train a new man, he learns
the required pull by reference to target tables and the scale
worksheet includes a column for the target diameter for each string.
No amount of automation will ever obviate the need for a skilled
operator, though a certain amount of mechanical automation can ensure
consistency and take the sweat out of the work.  The results of fully
automated stringmaking can easily be judged in any cheap piano shop.

That's only answered a bit of the question, bit I've got to get some sleep!

JD

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: coils.gif