compression waves

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 00:23:36 +0000

At 12:32 AM -0500 11/24/01, Stephen Birkett wrote:

>  We
>know that the longitudinal wave velocity of the wire acting as a
>thin rod is a function only of the material properties, viz. the
>Young's modulus (E) and volume density (rho): v = (E/rho)^0.5. We
>also know that the Young's modulus for high carbon steel music wire
>is around 215 GPa and density about 7830 kg/m^3. Now there is a
>little variation in reported values of these parameters but they
>certainly ought to be constant for a particular piece of wire and
>close to the values given here.

Stephen, as a cgs trained physics failure who can adapt painfully
when required to MKS, I must put up my hand and ask what is GPa?,
which is too recent a term apparently for my (not new) Websters and
not used in any of my physics books.

As to the specific gravity of the wire, I would trust no published
figures, since I have come across so many varying values (eg.
Wolfenden's 7.60).  Besides, the specific gravity will fall as the
string is stretched since its volume does actually increase and the
thinning of the wire does not counterbalance the lengthening as one
might imagine.  We are interested in the actual specific gravity of
the wire after the molecules have thoroughly realigned themselves
several days after chipping up and tuning and the pitch has been
brought back up.  I think it quite probable that there are
significant differences between different makes of wire and that it's
quite possible Wolfenden's figure of 7.60 came from accurate
measurement of the best wire ever produced, namely Poehlmann's.

JD